IN the mean time, when there were gathered together an innumerable multitude of people, insomuch that they trode one upon another, he began to say unto his disciples first of all, Beware ye of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is hypocrisy.
2. For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.
3. Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness, shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets, shall be proclaimed upon the house-tops.
4. And I say unto you, my friends, Be not afraid of them that kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do.
5. But I will forewarn you of whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which, after he hath killed, hath the power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
6. Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings? and not one of them is forgotten before God.
7. But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; ye are of more value than many sparrows.
13. And one of the company said unto him, Master, speak to my brother, that he divide the inheritance with me.
14. And he said unto him, Man, who made me a judge, or a divider over you?
15. And he said unto them, Take heed, and beware of covetousness; for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth.
16. And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully.
17. And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?
18. And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.
19. And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years: take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.
20. But God said unto him, Thou fool! this night thy soul shall be required of thee; then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?
21. So is he that layeth up treasures for himself, and is not rich toward God.
22. And he said unto his disciples, Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat; neither for the body, what ye shall put on.
23. The life is more than meat, and the body is more than raiment.
24. Consider the ravens: for they neither sow not reap; which neither have storehouse nor barn; and God feedeth them: How much more are ye better than the fowls?
25. And which of you, with taking thought, can add to his stature one cubit?
26. If ye then be not able to do that thing which is least, why take ye thought for the rest?
27. Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, That Solomon, in all his glory, was not arrayed like one of these.
28. If then God so clothe the grass, which is to-day in the field, and tomorrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you? O ye of little faith!
29. And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; neither be ye of doubtful mind.
30. For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
31. But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
[Editor's Note: This chapter continues next page.]