AND it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples.
2. And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father, which art in heaven: Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth.
3. Give us day by day our daily bread.
4. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil.
5. And he said unto them, Which of you shall have a friend, and shall go unto him at midnight, and say unto him, Friend, lend me three loaves;
6. For a friend of mine in his journey is come to me, and I have nothing to set before him?
7. And he from within shall answer, and say, Trouble me not: the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give thee.
8. I say unto you, Though he will not rise and give him, because he is his friend; yet because of his importunity he will rise and give him as many as he needeth.
9. And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek and ye shall find: knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10. For every one that asketh, receiveth; and he that seeketh, findeth; and to him that knocketh, it shall be opened.
11. If a son shall ask bread of any of youthat is a father, will he give him a stone? or, if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12. Or, if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13. If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children; how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?